Friday, November 25, 2016

A Show by Any Other Name Wouldn't Be as Sweet: Shakespeare in the Park

I haven't participated in theater since my wondrous performance as Cinderella in my eighth grade play. Even so, I have a great love for theater and have many friends who are talented actors, singers, and musicians, so the craft has been part of my life for quite some time. Although you may assume that I'd want to talk about Chicago's upper echelon of theater, I haven't gotten to experience much of it as a broke college student. If you want to see great theater on a budget, look no further than the Chicago Park District's Shakespeare in the Park!

Shakespeare in the Park is a series done in different Chicago parks throughout the summer. It's part of a larger series of theater in the parks, but I've only seen this one thus far. The show is a performance of  scenes from multiple Shakespearian comedies, including Twelfth Night, Taming of the Shrew, and many more. The plays are staged on a large stage in the middle of the park and the audience brings their own seating. This creates a wonderful ambience: seeing families and friends bringing their own foods and enjoying each others company makes for a lovely time.



I absolutely loved the show, and could go on about all its wonderful attributes. First and foremost, the acting was superb. One of the most charming features of the show is that rather than perform the works in their classic setting, the skits can take place anywhere from a jungle gym to an old-timey saloon. This kept the play new and interesting. I think it would be especially helpful for those who weren't familiar with every play featured. If I could give any criticism, it would be that the area in front of the stage fills up fast, so make sure you get there early and claim a spot with a great view!

For more information on this show, visit http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/notp/theater/.

No comments:

Post a Comment