Sunday, September 11, 2016

Blog Entry #1: Exploring Twitter Hashtags

This week's activity was very insightful to me. Although I am an experienced Twitter user, I usually use the platform for personal interactions: tweeting about my day, seeing what my friends are up to, etc. I rarely explore hashtags, especially ones involving business matters such as these. So one of the first lessons I took from this activity was that, although I have been on Twitter for a long time, I am not as experienced a user as I thought!

I looked at most of the hashtags briefly, but spent the most time in #hootchat. There is a lot of insight to be gained in the topic of social media relations from this hashtag. Not only are social media professionals sharing advice with one another, but they are posting relevant articles that would help anyone building a social media platform. One of the coolest things I noticed is the use of the term "influencer" which I hadn't heard before. I think this tag would be excellent to explore as I begin to use social media professionally. Most of the people in this tag are professionals working for large companies who seem very willing to answer questions and share their experience. I could reach out to them through this tag and receive invaluable advice.

My only concerns about Twitter involve the clutter/spam related to large tags such as #hootchat. Just scrolling through the tag can be very overwhelming, as people are sharing articles and replying to one another so frequently. Also, there appear to be some spam bots. After tweeting using #hootchat, I was added to multiple, seemingly random lists of people. This is a little annoying, but not totally detrimental. It would not discourage me from using the platform in the future. Overall, I am excited to explore Twitter hashtags like this further and see what I can learn from them.

2 comments:

  1. Kirsten, it's great to learn that you briefly explored most of the hashtags. You also mentioned a very good point regarding the shortage of using hashtags! Any thoughts on how to manage this clutter/spam issue if you are going to host a Hashtag Chat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten, it's great to learn that you briefly explored most of the hashtags. You also mentioned a very good point regarding the shortage of using hashtags! Any thoughts on how to manage this clutter/spam issue if you are going to host a Hashtag Chat?

    ReplyDelete